Thursday, June 26, 2008

Para-Sonia


Hey, hey Sonia.
This woman, Sonia Deol, can do more with a "hello" than any female I've ever listened to. Really yummy voice and turns of phrase.
Why mention her here? Well I got turned on to her quite by accident several years ago after my first return from India. I heard her say something rather saucy and clever on some BBC program or another and said I need to hear more of this.
I subsequently found out that she had a program on the BBC Asian Network. She does both UK television and radio programming.
I found her radio program and was soon streaming her program via my computer. I fell in love with her morning music and chat show and became a regular listener.
I even responded to something humorous she had said and sent her an email. Sonia read it on-air which, as a writer, I found extremely delicious.
I continued to stream her program while back in Bangalore and introduced her to my Indian colleagues and friends.
I returned to the US and she was suddenly gone. It was announced by the network that she left the show by mutual consent. I was not satisfied by her replacement and have not listened very much since. In fact, it has been several months.
Out of the blue, I pulled up the still bookmarked Asian Network on my PC and checked for programs and Voila! Sonia Deol had just returned (days prior) to the network to fill in for someone else. Which strangely was the methodology of her departure.
She is supposed to remain at this post for only a few weeks more. That part sucks. I missed having her voice in my day. I'll relish it while I can.
Yeah, for many not familiar with the BBC and its various incarnations, Sonia Deol may be an unknown quantity. Well let's do something about that: http://www.bbc.co.uk/asiannetwork/nihal/

No comments: