Friday, June 27, 2008

East Infection



Now I cannot seem to decide. I've been toying with taking an English teacher gig overseas but there are a lot of choices. Narrowing them down has not been so simple.


Korea is an easy choice. Used to live there. Love the food. Broads are gorgeous. Urban life is is pretty good. Good remuneration. The photo is Samgachi near where I lived in Seoul. I would catch the subway there. "Chigum... Tangogae."
Japan is a good choice as well. I've spent a bit of time there and must admit to having an historic love affair with the place. In fact, I would not mind living there long-term. Their remuneration , while fair, is modest for such a high-cost country. I would need to be already be there to position myself for the best deal.
China is all over the charts. There are so many opportunities there that it is mind-numbing. Remuneration is also all over the place. But this is also a place that has fascinated me since I was just a kid.
I remember asking my father about China when I was just about 7 or 8 and her told me American could not go there. After all, it was the 1960s and the Cultural Revolution was rocking the country. I am firmly convinced that if you tell any American kid he/she is not allowed to do something, they'll spend the rest of their days with that particular thing in their mind.

Then there is Taiwan, Republic of China - the little engine that could. They'll fly me there and pay me fair and square. As the saying goes: Never been there. They tell me it's nice. The remuneration package is pretty nice.

I have not mentioned all of the other places in the offering. Jeez, there are so many. I just need to sell all my shit and go.

No comments: