Monday, June 23, 2008

Humor Enters Puberty


I was a newly minted teen in 1972, all about building models and reading comic books. I had just recently purchased my first LP - Edgar Winter's "They Only Come Out at Night." Incidentally, his was the first concert I attended.

It was after school and I was on my way over to my friend Alphonso's house. We built models and listened to 45s and comedy albums. Alphonso was a funny guy, not just jokes, but really funny. We would often try to out-funny each other.

Well this one day was going to change things. I arrived at his house and we headed up to his room and closed the door. He had an album he was anxious for me to hear. It was called "Class Clown." It changed a lot of things. Comedy was never the same. I could argue that the country changed that year, in part, due to this man named George Carlin.


Well the man is gone now.

I fell asleep with the radio on last night and was awakened, for whatever reason, to an announcement that George Carlin had died at 71. I was not able to rest for the remainder of the night. I do not know how to put this into words but to say that part of my youth has just died with him.

Knowing full well the irony involved, I say Godspeed George.

No comments: