Friday, January 20, 2006

Sukh Sagar

Here is something funny. I was having a conversation with someone regarding my upcoming return to India. I was asked, once again, if I spoke "Indian." I replied in the affirmative. Then I was asked to say something. In "Indian."
So I replied with "what would you like me to say?"
"Say anything."
I said "I just did."
English is one of two national languages, along with whatever local language(s) are spoken on top of that. Chances are good that the folks that I hear people complain about in "outsourced" customer service call centers across India have, not only a greater command of the English language, but an MBA to boot. These are highly sought and well paid positions in India.
Let us imagine, for a moment, a conversation between someone with a thick NYC-area dialect and the same dialect enhancement, but from, say, Lafayette, Louisiana. Which sounds more foreign? And to whom?
But I digress.
I wanted to share something I wrote to Territory Ahead - the clothing catalogue folks. They asked for a suggestion for places they could focus on for an upcoming catalogue. I replied in an email that they should consider India. They contacted me to ask why.
Here is my response to them: First off, this is the land of Kipling, Orwell, et al. If you, as you say, are looking for "great, exciting, and unknown places," then India should be at the top of the list (as it already is in the imaginations of countless millions).
I do not mean to be a mere cheerleader, but having spent an abundance of my career in Asia/Pacific Rim, I finally found an area which I can claim as a second home. I learn something new every single day. The history is alive and meshs seamlessly with the present and future. Simply amazing.
I have taken advantage of Territory Ahead for at least 10 years. As with the early Banana Republic and J. Peterman (catalogues), I look forward, not only to the product, but the vignettes enclosed within.
India provides the Himalaya Range, the deserts of Rajastan, the tropical beauty of Kerala where the Europenas first set foot in the 15th century. There are cool hill stations and steamy urban centers with cathedrals, temples and enough oddities to make Ripley stammer. Colonial chic meets world culture, all in a one billion-plus populace.
India has stories, imagery and wonder. It should not work, but does so nonetheless. It is not just one thing or just anything. It is a flavor worth savoring...slowly...over the course of a lifetime. I hope this little pep rally was helpful and not so over the top. Oh, by the way, Mark Twain...yeah, that guy, was equally over the top. If nothing else, I stand in good company.
Do not get me wrong. The place is seriously flawed. It isn't a fairy tale country.
But it kinda is.
I guess it all depends on what trips your trigger.
Now give me a cheese masala dosa. Chutney jaasti!

No comments: