Thursday, May 11, 2006

Pass the chutney please


I like to listen to online radio while I work. This allows for me to listen to my New York City local radio (which I very much miss while driving) as well as the BBC Asian Network which is somewhat of an addiction.
I have, this past year, developed a fancy for the Sonia Deol program. I have, as the slogan goes, "Switched to Sonia." She has a chat program that combines a nice bit of news, Indo-Brit pop and general chatter which is a great diversion from an otherwise bleak assortment of vanilla formulaic programming.
It isn't that other programs stink. Hardly. It is just that sometimes I need a bit of masala with my brain food. Sonia, so the bio goes, is a Birmingham girl from a South Asian family background (get it? Asian network.) ergo, a bit of the subject matter covered is South Asian oriented. Her cohorts, Sohail and Sonal, make for great banter and the humor can get near to wicked.
For those of you who find a woman's tone to be important, let me say one word - delicious. Having recently put a face to the voice - wow. She just happens to be a doll too. This just adds to my overall listening pleasure.
Well you can see for yourself: http://www.bbc.co.uk/asiannetwork/sonia_deol/?focuswin
There are several shows on the network that I'll listen to but Sonia's efforts bring me the greatest rewards.

No comments: